A British couple helicopter crash on the Greek island of Sifnos has killed two newlyweds and their pilot, according to local media reports and the Greek fire service. The private helicopter came down just metres from its landing pad on Monday afternoon.
The couple were on their honeymoon, having travelled by helicopter from Markopoulo, a village around 13 miles southeast of Athens, to the popular holiday island, Greek newspaper Kathimerini reported.
Pilot identified as former air force officer
The pilot was named as Giorgos Raikos, 53. The Guardian reported that Raikos was a former air force officer described as “extremely experienced.” He was a Greek national.
Three bodies were recovered from the crash site on Monday afternoon. The fire service confirmed the recovery but did not identify the victims. A blaze broke out following the crash and firefighters worked to tackle the flames, which had been extinguished by Monday evening.
According to People, Markopoulo lies around 13 miles southeast of the Greek capital, placing the couple’s journey as a relatively short hop across to the island.
Scene described as near-total destruction
Sifnos’ deputy mayor arrived at the crash site shortly after the incident and told local news site Newsit there was almost “nothing left” of the aircraft. He said two of the victims were found in the wreckage, while the third was recovered a short distance away.
The British couple helicopter crash came just metres short of the landing pad, Kathimerini said, suggesting the aircraft came down in the final moments of its approach. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
The BBC said it had contacted the UK Foreign Office, the Greek authorities and the aviation company for comment. No statement from any of those parties had been issued at the time of the reports.
An investigation is under way to determine what caused the helicopter to come down. Greek authorities have not yet indicated whether a mechanical fault, pilot error or other factor is being examined as the primary cause.
The crash is the latest in a series of aviation incidents to hit the Greek islands, where helicopter transfers are a common mode of transport for tourists and locals alike during the summer season. Sifnos, located in the Cyclades, is a popular destination drawing visitors each year.
The British couple helicopter crash comes as the UK Foreign Office routinely advises travellers to check operator safety records before booking private flights abroad. No specific advisory relating to this incident had been issued by the time reports were filed.
Kathimerini reported the crash on Monday, with the fire service and local officials among the first to respond. Firefighters contained the blaze before nightfall, allowing investigators to begin examining the wreckage.
The identities of the British victims have not been formally confirmed by UK or Greek authorities. With the investigation now open, findings on the British couple helicopter crash are expected to be released by Greek aviation officials in due course.





















